Tide gauges from FES

MOHID Water forum. Questions and discussion around MOHID Water
mfernand@fing.edu.uy
MOHID User

Tide gauges from FES

Postby mfernand@fing.edu.uy » Fri Oct 09, 2009 15:21

Hi,
I have been doing some tests with the tidal input and I found that when I insert too many tidal gauges (1200 points approx.), the simulation does not run. Is there any limit on the number of points for the tidal gauges?
Thank you, cheers,
Mariana

CampuzanoFJ
MOHID User

Postby CampuzanoFJ » Tue Oct 20, 2009 15:45

Dear Mariana,

As you said, I think you are forcing with too many tidal gauges. Probably, the computing effort is too big, cannot tell you more about this without the error that comes out if it comes. My suggestion is to reduce this number and try to force only the tide at the boundary of your domain. As Mohid performs triangulations at the domain boundary and forces the model from there. Hope this helps, best regards,

Francisco

mfernand@fing.edu.uy
MOHID User

Postby mfernand@fing.edu.uy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 20:23

Hi Francisco,
Thank you for your reply but I am only introducing the tide at the boundary of the domain. I was using one tidal gauge for each cell and it didn't work. We tried skipping one cell every two cells (i.e. reducing the number of tidal gauges to one half) and it worked.
Cheers,
Mariana

angela.maretec@ist.utl.pt
MOHID Beginner

Re: Tide gauges from FES

Postby angela.maretec@ist.utl.pt » Wed Nov 04, 2009 18:00

Hi Mariana,

The number of desirable tide gauges depends on the grid resolution of your application.

Because of the triangulation that Francisco writes about if you define inner domain and out domain tide gauges you avoid considering one tide gauge per grid cell.

In applications that I worked with it suffices to consider one tide gauge (alternating between domain inside and outside) every 10 grid cells.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Angela

Return to “MOHID Water”