RESERVOIR SIMULATION

MOHID Water forum. Questions and discussion around MOHID Water
sereiger@usp.br
MOHID Beginner

RESERVOIR SIMULATION

Postby sereiger@usp.br » Wed Dec 02, 2009 20:02

Dear Gurus and Mohiders

I am interested in setting up a freshwater reservoir simulation which is NOT connected to an estuary.

I have studied all available examples, which are related to estuaries, and I am having difficulties with my problem, already begginning with the establishment of the grid.

I hope I can be enlightened by you, which are more experienced than me with MOHID.

Best regards.

Sérgio Eiger

administrator@.
Site Admin

Postby administrator@. » Mon Feb 15, 2010 09:18

Hi Sérgio,

To create the bathymetry for a reservoir, first find an adequate topographic reference. MOHID bathymetry is positive. Normally zero is the reference water level, so you can translate the topography to the mean water level of the reservoir. In practice you can choose your own referential, if the water level variation in the reservoir is very big, just make sure the bathymetry values given to MOHID are higher than -55m. This ensures that the grid cells can be computation points. Any bathymetry values lower than -55 will be considered fixed land points, that can never be inundated. Normally we prescribe the value -99 to identify such points. Please use this value to define land points.

Regarding the dam, you just define it as a land point. If the discharge of the reservoir is in depth, just define the discharge (with a negative value) in the correspondent grid cell.

Hope this helps,
Luis

sereiger@usp.br
MOHID Beginner

Dear Luis

Postby sereiger@usp.br » Mon Feb 15, 2010 15:35

Thanks for your reply.

Unfortunately I have stopped my MOHID activities for a while since I got stuck with the reservoir problem.

Maybe I should be more specific about it.
Basically I was not able to see how to setup a simulation without the presence of the sea or estuary, i.e., without water level boundary condition.
In my case all BC's are discharges.

I noticed that you have done some simulations regarding this case, but it seems that the files are not available to the general public. It seems they are stored in a kind of intranet. Having a complete example files available would be a big plus to me, including the GIS files.

I feel that obviously I am missing something that can be obtained, but I must admit that I got lost.

If you could give me some directions about how to obtain the material to setup such a simulation I think I could carry on.

Best regards and let´s have some fun in the World Cup!

Sérgio

administrator@.
Site Admin

Postby administrator@. » Wed Feb 24, 2010 18:14

Hi Sergio,

I'll try to find some examples of reservoir simulations and have them available in the download area of MOHID website and let you know.

Best regards,
Luis

sereiger@usp.br
MOHID Beginner

Dear Luis

Postby sereiger@usp.br » Sun Jul 11, 2010 16:53

I am starting over my attempt to use MOHID to simulate the water quallty in a reservoir.
Thus, it still would be extremely helpful to have a complete example on how to build tehese situtation.
Best regards.
Sergio Eiger
Sao Paulo
Brazil
P.S.: I tried to install MOHID on Windows 7, but I could not overcome the very first step - the installation of .Net Framework 1.1.4322....Ai Jesus!

Return to “MOHID Water”