Using a simple model to calibrate water quality??

MOHID Water forum. Questions and discussion around MOHID Water
tomas.senabre@gmail.com
MOHID Beginner

Using a simple model to calibrate water quality??

Postby tomas.senabre@gmail.com » Fri Oct 07, 2011 08:34

Hello Mohiders,
I am trying to use the example of PAPA vertical 1d model, to calibrate the water quality module of a larger model. I want to do simulations of a year or more with a simple model that takes little time computing. I do not know if the PAPA vertical 1d model is most suitable for use as a base and gradually replace the boundary variables, or it is better to use a 3D model of the study area but with a few horizontal cells.

I have done some testing with the PAPA vertical 1d model, and I have observed that the salinity becomes constant after a few months of simulation and this did not change even if I use a profile time series with different data for each month. I also noticed that the temperature gets too high and in the PAPA vertical 1d model correct this effect with a profile of 4°C throughout the water column.

Thanks
Tomás

luis_at_mohid.com
MOHID Developer
Location: Instituto Superior Técnico - Technical University of Lisbon

Re: Using a simple model to calibrate water quality??

Postby luis_at_mohid.com » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:59

Hi Tomas,

The PAPA station test case is useful in open ocean applications, but with some work it can suit your intentions. Did you change the meteorological forcing to suit your case study?

Can you be a bit more specific in the type of application you're doing? Estuary? coastal area? River? Lake?

Best regards,
Luis

tomas.senabre@gmail.com
MOHID Beginner

Postby tomas.senabre@gmail.com » Wed Jan 04, 2012 13:20

Hello Luis Happy New Year,
Our model is of the Canary Islands (open ocean). I was testing the PAPA model to use our meteorology data and boundary conditions, but I had problems with the horizontal turbulence and water column is completely cooled homogenizing the entire domain.
I've finally decided to create a model of 18 cells (6x3) in the same area as the study area, Dx = 1.44 °, with 28 vertical layers with a thickness exponentially distributed (greater thickness in the deep layers). I have used the ERA40 data model for the meteorology force, and WOA 2005 data for boundary conditions.The central cell coincides with the position of the buoy ESTOC Canary Islands in order to calibrate the results.
It seems that in models with open boundaries (without soil around the edges) is very critical adjustment of the coefficients of assimilation. I do not know if there is some indication of the values ​​that should be the coefficients of assimilation.
Do you have a procedure or protocol for the trial and error of the coefficients of assimilation?

Thank you very much Luis for keeping the forum alive

luis_at_mohid.com
MOHID Developer
Location: Instituto Superior Técnico - Technical University of Lisbon

Postby luis_at_mohid.com » Tue Jan 31, 2012 13:41

Hi Tomas,

I don't know if that is a very good idea, to use a very coarse model to calibrate the ecological model. Everything may indeed depend on the imposition of the boundary conditions.
I'd have to see the model set up (both from the 1D vertical model and the coarse 3D model) to give you a better idea on how to proceed.

Best regards,
Luis

Return to “MOHID Water”