reference level in wetland

MOHID Water forum. Questions and discussion around MOHID Water
ruedabayona@gmail.com
MOHID User

reference level in wetland

Postby ruedabayona@gmail.com » Fri Nov 04, 2011 13:24

Hi all of Mohid colleagues, :)

I'm working in a wetland, and it is located close to the sea. The wetland has heights (topography) and depths (bathymetry) set to sea level (0) WGS84. Acordingly the wetland has values of depth with positive and negative values, obviously referred to mean sea level.
Now I'm trying to simulate, but I'm not sure how to set the bathymetry file, having into account that I only had modelled bays with positive values for depth and negative values for heights.

Somebody can help me? thanks!

frank.maretec@ist.utl.pt
MOHID Guru

Re: reference level in wetland

Postby frank.maretec@ist.utl.pt » Tue Nov 08, 2011 22:14

Dear MOHIDer,

bathymetric values of grid cell are given in meters. The reference level is not the mean sea level, but the Hydrographical Zero (the reference level for nautical charts).

The difference between mean sea level and hydrographical zero depend from region to region. Here in Portugal it's arround 2.0. The value is set for each tide in the ModuleTide, by the keyword REF_LEVEL.

Values are positive downwards. This means that depth values in intertidal areas have negative values.

If you are using MOHID Studio, there is an example called "Water Test". This example uses a bathymetry with intertidal areas.

Hope this helps,
Frank
In order to understand recursivity you must first understand recursivity.

ruedabayona@gmail.com
MOHID User

Re: reference level in wetland

Postby ruedabayona@gmail.com » Wed Nov 09, 2011 01:12

Hi Frank,

thanks by your kind response, I'll check the mohid studio,

nice day

Return to “MOHID Water”