Water Quality using only the Dissolved Oxygen

MOHID Water forum. Questions and discussion around MOHID Water
cinthya.gomez@gmail.com
MOHID Beginner

Water Quality using only the Dissolved Oxygen

Postby cinthya.gomez@gmail.com » Fri Dec 09, 2011 15:10

Hi
I was trying to model Mohid with the Water Quality model using only the dissolved oxygen. However every time I try to run the model the following errors occurs:
"Water Quality Processes-Module Water Properties Err01 ".Also said in the Hydrodynamics part "It is just possible to simulate the Water Quality with nutrients. Or simple AGE or Larvae" and "'FUNTION WQ OptionsConsistencyVerif; Module Water Quality. WAN02. WQ wont be computed in the las 3239 seconds".
I have check the modules with the one that I use before in other examples. I try to look in Mohid Forum but I couldn't fine anything.

I have the following files:

Water properties

OUTPUT_TIME : 0 3600
ADV_METHOD_H : 4
TVD_LIMIT_H : 4

<beginproperty>
NAME : salinity
UNITS : psu
DESCRIPTION : salinity
DEFAULTVALUE : 9
INITIALIZATION_METHOD : CONSTANT
DEFAULTBOUNDARY : 36.
BOUNDARY_INITIALIZATION : EXTERIOR
BOUNDARY_CONDITION : 2
WATER_QUALITY : 0
OLD : 0
ADVECTION_DIFFUSION : 1
DISCHARGES : 1
OUTPUT_HDF : 1
TIME_SERIE : 1
<endproperty>

<beginproperty>
NAME : temperature
UNITS : ºC
DESCRIPTION : temperature
DEFAULTVALUE : 25
DEFAULTBOUNDARY : 20.
WATER_QUALITY : 0
OLD : 0
<endproperty>

<beginproperty>
NAME : oxygen
UNITS : mg/l
DESCRIPTION : dissolved oxygen
DEFAULTVALUE : 8.6
DEFAULTBOUNDARY : 8.
IS_COEF : .001
ADVECTION_H_IMP_EXP : 0
SURFACE_FLUXES : 0
WATER_QUALITY : 1
<endproperty>

and for the Water Quality

DTSECONDS : 3600.
NITROGEN : 0
PHYTO : 0
ZOO : 0
BOD : 0
OXYGEN : 1
EXPLICIT : 1

--------------OXYGEN----------------------------------------
MINOXYGEN : 1E-5 !mg/l

Thanks

cinthya.gomez@gmail.com
MOHID Beginner

Re: Water Quality using only the Dissolved Oxygen

Postby cinthya.gomez@gmail.com » Fri Dec 09, 2011 15:14

Regarding mine question, this was the answer of my problem fom luis_at_mohid.com:

You can’t run the WaterQuality model only with oxygen. Oxygen is somewhat a passive substance that gets consumed and produced by organisms and mineralization processes, so you have to run the full WaterQuality model, with phytoplankton, nutrients, etc…. Thus the message you get “It is just possible to simulate the Water Quality with nutrients. Or simple AGE or Larvae”.

The error you get ('WaterQuality_Processes - ModuleWaterProperties - ERR01') is because you’re activating the WaterQuality model by defining WATERQUALITY : 1 in the oxygen property in the WaterProperties file. So the model automatically tries to look for information on the light extinction coefficients, needed for the light limitation on phytoplankton. But because you haven’t defined phytoplankton, the model has not initialized the light extinction computation and then returns the error.

This can be a bit confusing, but if you follow the examples from the courses it will be OK.

Still regarding the other warning “WQ wont be computed in the las 3239 seconds”, this is because the WQ model has its own time step, which does not have to be multiple of the model’s main time step. When it is not, then the last WQ time step might not be computed. Normally it does not affect the results, but if you want it to, then the WQ time step should be a multiple of the main DT.

Return to “MOHID Water”