Nesting models - options -

MOHID Water forum. Questions and discussion around MOHID Water
melissacastera@gmail.com
MOHID User

Nesting models - options -

Postby melissacastera@gmail.com » Wed Apr 30, 2014 13:43

Hello Mohiders,

I really need your help! I have several questions about nesting models, regarding to two types of configuration:

1) Configuration of a Father-Son model, simulating both at the same time:
- What is DATA_ASSIMLATION for? Is it useful?. Isn't enough activating BRFORCE keyword? Should I consider water properties in assimilation file as well?
- Why does a list of uncovered cells apear at the beginning of simulation but no error? It mentions all the cells that are in the open boundaries. I have three open boundaries. Please, find attached a screenshot of both GridData (Father-Son). Father is a variable rectangular grid of 400x200 meters and Son is a variable rect grid of 100x50 meters.
screenshot_FatherSon.rar
FahterSon_GridData
(224.31 KiB) Downloaded 141 times

2) Configuration of only the Son model, reading solutions from Father previous runs: So I have the Father Model that reads HDF5 solutions, and the son model.
- In Father's Model, I have succeed in reading Hydrodynamic files, but have problems reading WaterProperties files. It appears an error: GetHDF5ArrayDimensions - ModuleHDF5 - ERR10. Why is that?
My WaterProperties File (Father's model) is as follows:
<beginproperty>
NAME : temperature
UNITS : ?C
DESCRIPTION : No description was given.
FILE_IN_TIME : HDF
INITIALIZATION_METHOD : CONSTANT
DIMENSION : 3D
FILENAME : D:\Nested_400x200S_100x50_HTotal50\II_Nested\General Data\WaterProperties_63.hdf5
VGROUP_PATH : \Results
!MULTIPLYING_FACTOR : 1
HDF_FIELD_NAME : temperature
DEFAULTVALUE : 15
ADVECTION_DIFFUSION : 0
<endproperty>

<beginproperty>
NAME : salinity
UNITS : psu
DESCRIPTION : No description was given.
DEFAULTVALUE : 0.01
FILE_IN_TIME : HDF
INITIALIZATION_METHOD : CONSTANT
DIMENSION : 3D
FILENAME : D:\Nested_400x200S_100x50_HTotal50\II_Nested\General Data\WaterProperties_63.hdf5
VGROUP_PATH : \Results
!MULTIPLYING_FACTOR : 1
HDF_FIELD_NAME : salinity
ADVECTION_DIFFUSION : 0
<endproperty>

- Is it ASSIMILATION useful in this case?. Isn't enough activating BRFORCE keyword? Should I include water properties (temp, salinity) in Assimilation data file?
- It is possible, instead of doing one model for Father and another for Son, to do only the Son model that uses Father's hdf5 files? For such case, how could I configure data files?

And finally, how should I configure the model as to include atmospheric conditions? I want to include NCEP information. I have already downloaded the files, convert them to HDF5 and extract bathymetry information from them as to interpolate to my model bathymetry (Father).
But, if I am running a Father-Son model simultaniously, do I have to change both InterfaceWaterAir.dat and Atmosphere.dat files, or it's enough changing Father data files?
In case that I want to consider another configuration option: first run Father model, and then run Son model (not simultaneously), what should I have to include in Son's data files?

Sorry I expressed to many questions. I have already search in forum and wiki, and did not find the solution.

Thanks in advance,

Melissa

Return to “MOHID Water”