Outfall simulation using Mohid

MOHID Water forum. Questions and discussion around MOHID Water
paulo.chambel.maretec@taguspark.pt
Site Admin

Outfall simulation using Mohid

Postby paulo.chambel.maretec@taguspark.pt » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:14

I Mohiders (Paulo),
Did you remember that I commented you during my stay in Lisbon about a project that involved the discharge of very saline water through an outfall?. Actually I´m working in that project and I would like to know if you could provide me of some help in deffining the parameters. My problem is that I´m considering an outfall 30 m long with 30 ports, 15 in each side of the pipe, and with an orientation of 45 degrees respect the pipe, and I don´t know how to define these two rows of ports in the pipe.

Should I define two origins and one group for doing that? How do I define those degrees respect the pipe (which of the angles are the ones to modify)? If I define two different origins should I then consider that the discharge flow is a halve for both of them?

paulo.chambel.maretec@taguspark.pt
Site Admin

Postby paulo.chambel.maretec@taguspark.pt » Fri Sep 10, 2004 10:16

Olá Francisco,

I send the link to three files one is a manual where all the equations and the new resources of MohidJet are described MOHIDJET.pdf. Another file is outfall.dat is an example of what can be one way of defining one group of ports (ModuleJet data file - near field).
The other is Lagrangian_1.dat is an example of how you can defined one of origins (ModuleLagrangian data file - far field).

About MohidJet (or ModuleJet) in your case I will defined two origins. You must remember that the keyword PORT_ANGLE_XY define the ports horizontal orientation not in respect to the pipe but to the X direction. For example if in your case the pipe is parallel to the X direction than for the left ports will have PORT_ANGLE_XY : 45 and for the right ones PORT_ANGLE_XY : -45.

You should talk with the outfall designer to have a more clear view of the outfall characteristics. Another thing very important is the flow. You need to now the flow and the number of ports their orientation in the horizontal plane and in the vertical one. You also need to now their diameter. Only this way you have the information to compute properly the jets velocity and direction.
Best wishes,

Paulo

http://maretec.mohid.com/PublicData/pro ... HIDJET.pdf
images/outfall.dat
images/Lagrangian_1.dat

Return to “MOHID Water”