THOMAS3D

Mohid Studio general discussion forum
josemmedina@nautilusing.com
MOHID Beginner

THOMAS3D

Postby josemmedina@nautilusing.com » Mon Aug 24, 2015 15:39

Hi, Colleagues:
I am finding new problems which I didn't have in the old Mohid. One of them is the Instability in "Thomas3D". I am modeling a track of ocean certainly very difficult, with a rough bathymetry. But I have smoothed a lot the boundaries, there are no channels, I have more or less a very soft "U". My Courant number is too low for what I am used in Mohid (less than 4). I am forcing the boundary with tides.
Any clue? Have you got this same problem?

Thanks,

Jose

garbossa@gmail.com
MOHID Beginner

Re: THOMAS3D

Postby garbossa@gmail.com » Thu Oct 08, 2015 14:30

Hello,

I have a similar problem with THOMAS, any clues?

Best Regards

Garbossa

davidbrito
MOHID Advanced user

Postby davidbrito » Tue Mar 28, 2017 09:07

Hello Jose and Garbossa,

Sorry fo the delay but maybe it helps users with same problem.

This problem is related to the model itself so is better to post on MOHID Water section.
Usually this is related to bathymetry jumps in intertidal areas. The initial courant number is an indication in the higher depth cell (i think) because when water level rises and lowers it covers/uncoves other cells and the effective courant can change a lot.

Try to use the latest MOHID Studio 2016 with the latest MOHID Water executable and the samples provided here:
http://www.actionmodulers.pt/Biblioteca ... ide_v3.pdf
to see if there is something different and if persists post the question in MOHID Water section.

Best regards,
David

davidbrito
MOHID Advanced user

Postby davidbrito » Sun Apr 23, 2017 01:45

Hello Macros,

As stated before, this is an error of the MOHID Water executable and not related with MOHID Studio itself (MOHID Studio just uses the MOHID Water executable at the time that MOHID Studio was released).
And you can change the project executable if you want to test other MOHID Water executables.

But since it is a numerical error I suggest posting this at the MOHID Water forum with some info on your case (bathymety, initial and bounday conditions) and when it happens (try to simplify your solution to see if the problem disappears and simpler is better for someone to help you).
This usually happens when creating new projects if the bathymetry is very rough and timesteps are high...

Best regards,
David

Return to “MOHID Studio”