Openning shapefiles

MOHID GIS general discussion forum
paulo.chambel@hidromod.com
MOHID Advanced user

Openning shapefiles

Postby paulo.chambel@hidromod.com » Tue Jul 19, 2005 14:34

Dear all,
Rodrigo made a shapefile with the main past oil spills in the Portuguese coast. I was not able to open the shape in the mohidgis but i was able to open in the arcexplorer. I try to debug but my c# sintaxe needs to improve. Then I ask for help to Pedro Chambel and he open the shape in arcgis and he use a option that alow the user to transform \"features\" (accidents.shp) in \"points\" (accidents3.shp).
MohidGis is able to open the points version (accidents3.shp) create by Pedro Chambel. Any one can explain what happen. The path where I have my files is in the intranet (\\\\operational\\Aplica\\Proj_263\\DadosBase\\PastIncidents).

Paulo

luis_at_mohid.com
MOHID Developer
Location: Instituto Superior Técnico - Technical University of Lisbon

Postby luis_at_mohid.com » Tue Jul 19, 2005 15:10

Hi Paulo,

I've spoken with Frank, and it might be that the original shapefile is organized in a way that MohidGIS is not able to open.
Mohid GIS is able to open shapefiles containing as points, lines, polygons, multi-points, multi-lines and multi-polygons. What's the original shapefile type?

Cheers,
Luis

paulo.chambel@hidromod.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby paulo.chambel@hidromod.com » Tue Jul 19, 2005 15:22

I ask Rodrigo and he said points. This is becoming a mistery to me. :o

luis_at_mohid.com
MOHID Developer

Postby luis_at_mohid.com » Tue Jul 19, 2005 15:40

Hi again Paulo,

The problem might be caused by the fact that in the DBF file the X and Y coordinates for two points are missing, which from my point of view, are critical to represent the shapefile in MohidGIS. If you open the original shapefile in ArcView or ArcExplorer, these 2 points are not represented. The new shapefile considers the X and Y coordinates as zero, so, MohidGIS is capable of opening them. You can probably create an exception handle in MohidGIS, so that when this happens the X and Y coordinates are filled with a null value or even eliminated from the file.

Hope this helps,
Luis

luis_at_mohid.com
MOHID Developer

Postby luis_at_mohid.com » Tue Jul 19, 2005 15:44

Hi again,

In fact there were 3 points with no X,Y values. Also, the thing is even if you change the DBF file, you'd have to change the .SHX file. However, as the SHX file is written in binary format, you have to edit the table (DBF) in Arcview.

Cheers,
Luis

Return to “MOHID GIS (discontinued)”