New bathymetry file is automatically created

MOHID Land forum. Questions and discussion related to MOHID Land
epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

New bathymetry file is automatically created

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Thu Jun 30, 2011 15:46

Hello to all!

I have now the following error, just in case someone of you has got the same or know how to solve it! :-)

I run Mohid and it stops at the beginnig with a message that says:

-------------------- DRAINAGE NETWORK --------------------
Number of Nodes : 1185
Number of Reaches : 1184
Number of Outlets : 1
Hydrodynamic Approx. : Kinematic wave
Numerical Scheme : ExplicitScheme
Downstream Boundary : Zero depth gradient

i = 1
j = 1
Bathymetry = 718.870300000000
New Bathymetry = 718.910278320313
i = 2
j = 1
Bathymetry = 684.710100000000
New Bathymetry = 684.800109863281

(AND THE PROGRAMME WRITES A NEW BATHYMETRY FOR EVERY POINT)
At the end of the message window, the program tell me that it has created a new bathymetry file:

A new Bathymetry has been created, which consists with the geometry
Modify the file Nomfich.dat and Re-run the model
New Bathymetry file :
C:\\Mohid projects\\Proyecto alegria\\Alegria grid data_ND_Bottom__.new

Trying to settle it, I do as I´m told, that is, replacing the bottom file (in the porous media data file) with the one created. Then, I try to run it, and it happens the same. Same message with another New bathymetry file, and so on, and so on..

Has anyone had this message before?

Thanks in advance,
ane

Jauch
Site Admin

Postby Jauch » Fri Jul 01, 2011 15:25

Hello Ane :)

The problem was indeed a bug in the executable that you were using.

You can download the development version (but very stable) of Mohid Land executables (W\\ and Wo\\OpenMP) from the MOHID download page (Button DOWNLOADS in www.mohid.com). You need to register in order to be able to download files.

The zip file with both exe's are under \"Mohid Land DEVELOPMENT Executables\" item, on the top.

Also, David will send you an e-mail with some corrections in your project.

Eduardo Jauch
Mohid Land Developer

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Fri Jul 01, 2011 16:37

Thanks Eduardo!
The executables are downloaded and changed ;-)

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Re: New bathymetry file is automatically created

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Fri Sep 02, 2011 08:46

Hello!

I wanted to create different simulations changing in them just 1 or 2 parameters to see the difference it could make in the inputs. I haven´t had problems in two simulations but there is a third I´ve tried to run and it´s created a new bathimetry file as I described in the previous message. I change the one I had for the new one, and when I press the run buttom it appears the following error:

-------------------------- MOHID -------------------------

Copyright (C) 1985, 1998, 2002, 2006.
Instituto Superior Tecnico, Technical University of Lisbon
-------------------------- MOHID -------------------------

Constructing Mohid Land
Please Wait...
----------------------- DISCHARGES -----------------------

Number of Discharges : 1

----Discharge : NODE_650
----Num of Properties: 0

-------------------- DRAINAGE NETWORK --------------------

Number of Nodes : 1185
Number of Reaches : 1184
Number of Outlets : 1
Hydrodynamic Approx. : Kinematic wave
Numerical Scheme : ExplicitScheme
Downstream Boundary : Zero depth gradient

forrtl: error (65): floating invalid Image PC Routine Line Source
MOHIDLand_release 00565170 _MODULEFUNCTIONS_ 3618 ModuleFunctions.F90
MOHIDLand_release 0042F9BD _MODULEPOROUSMEDI 5469 ModulePorousMedia.f90
MOHIDLand_release 0042A9ED _MODULEPOROUSMEDI 629 ModulePorousMedia.f90
MOHIDLand_release 004D4288 _MODULEBASIN_mp_C 2251 ModuleBasin.f90
MOHIDLand_release 004CD7D4 _MODULEBASIN_mp_C 614 ModuleBasin.f90
MOHIDLand_release 004F190A _MAIN__ 72 MohidLand.f90
MOHIDLand_release 00822BA3 Unknown Unknown Unknown
MOHIDLand_release 0077BA4C Unknown Unknown Unknown
kernel32.dll 75D81114 Unknown Unknown Unknown
ntdll.dll 774AB429 Unknown Unknown Unknown
ntdll.dll 774AB3FC Unknown Unknown Unknown

Do you know what can be owing to? it says something about the porous media module, so maybe it´s because of the bottom file.. but I don´t know how to fit it..

I´m using Mohid land release double executable, but as I´ve manage to run other simulations without problem, I thought that this was Ok.

thanks in advance,
ane

Jauch
Site Admin

Postby Jauch » Fri Sep 02, 2011 09:15

Hi Ane,

You said that you have changed some parameters on the new simulations and that on one of the simulations you started to have problems (you had been asked by mohid to create a new bathmetry).
In order to help you, we need to know exactly what parameters you changed in the simulation with problems when comparing with the old one (the one that was working).

The first thing that comes to my mind is that unless you changed something in the geometry data or the topography file itself, you shouldn't have to create a new bathmetry file...

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Fri Sep 02, 2011 09:35

Hello Eduardo,
Well, in fact, I copied and pasted all data files from a simulation to other 2 simulations, so now I have 3 sim. I run the two new and after changing the bathimetry (from bottom.dat to bottom_.new) they seem to be ok. Just to have results in all of them I run the one I had and it appears this problem. I think I changed something in it but I cant find it (I´ve been comparing the data files). I don´t need this simulation, but I wanted to know if looking to the message I could know where did the error come from.
I´ll write back if I find something, ok?

Which is the reason mohid creates new bathimetry files to replace if the one I have has been created by it according to slope..?

Thanks,
ane

Jauch
Site Admin

Postby Jauch » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:22

Hi Ane :)

About the "new bathmetry".
You start with a topography file that tells, for each cell, the level of the surface, in meters, in relation to the sea.
But mohid needs a "bottom" two, that will tell to it the soil depth. If you assume that for the entire area been simulated, the soil depth is the same, usually the soil bottom is the topograpthy file, where each cell is the value of the surface level minus the soil depth. The soil bottom have its values always lower than the topography.

But mohid works with "layers". So, you define in the geometry file the number of layers that you want to use and the height of each layer.
Usually we set the top layers with a small height and the lower ones with greater heights, but to simplify, lets assume an homogeneous division for 10 layers, where each layer is 10 cm in height.
So, in the geometry file, the LAYER_THICKNESS (I don't remember if it's this keyword) you will have this:

0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1 0.1

Now, lets assume that you created your soilbottom with the values in the topography file minus 0.72 cm. This tells that the soil has a depth of 72 cm everywere.
When mohid is creating the soil 3D matrix he will create the layers for the first 70 cm with no problem, because we set the first seven layers with 10 cm.
So mohid starts to create the layers:

Code: Select all

Layer    expected_height         geometry_layer_height                   depth_of_the_layer_lower_face                 depth_of_the_soil
Top          0.1                              0.1                                    0.1                                       0.1
2º           0.1                              0.1                                    0.2                                       0.2
3º           0.1                              0.1                                    0.3                                       0.3
4º           0.1                              0.1                                    0.4                                       0.4
5º           0.1                              0.1                                    0.5                                       0.5
6º           0.1                              0.1                                    0.6                                       0.6
7º           0.1                              0.1                                    0.7                                       0.7
8º           0.02                             0.1                                    0.8                                       0.72

When he tries to construct the 8º layer, he founds a problem.
In geometry we are telling him that the 8º layer has a depth of 10 cm, but the soilbottom file is telling him that there is only 2 cm left on the soil (because soil has only 72 cm depth, not 80 cm).
For now, Mohid can work only with the geometry info. He can't "adapt" it's internal 3D matrix to have the lower bottom of each column with different heights.
So, he looks at the value of soil that is left and look at the height of the next layer. If the amount of soil left is greater than 50% of the layer height, he will use that layer, if it is less, he will not. Than, he "corrects" the soilbottom depth to agree with this.

In our example, 2 cm is less than 50% of 10 cm (taht is 5 cm), so it will not use the last 2 cm of soil and will correct our soilbottom file (create a new one) so that the depth of soil will be 70 cm instead of 72, and will tell you to use the new file for the simulation.

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:32

OK, I see :)
Thank you very much for the explanation!

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57

Hello Eduardo,
I´m trying to to run my simulations in other computer I dont use usually. I imported my solution and when I tried to run I got the new bathimetry file.. as the other time. I changed it to the new created file but nothing (it continues cretaing new files). So I tried changing the executable. I have copied the ones I downloaded and I have tried using both (mohidland_release_double and mohidland_release_double_openmp). With any of them I got a message saying that the executable file stopped working and it closes.
Can you tell me if I´m doing well using these executables and if the error could come from here?

best regards,
ane

Jauch
Site Admin

Postby Jauch » Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:14

Hi Ane, :)

First, because MohidStudio (you're using it, right?) probably do not have the "development" executable that can be found on the mohid page (and that you have used before), it will cause that "new bathmetry" error. So you need to change the executable and set on your solution to point to the new executable, in order to run properly.

But the "stopped working" message can have many causes, and most of them do not have origin in the mohid executable itself (but can be a bug that we don't know).

The first thing you could do is to execute the same simulation, without any modification, on the machine that you used to run, to verify if it's something associate to the "machine" or to the simulation you are trying to run. If no error on the old machine, the problem is on the machine/system (probably). If the error happens on the old machine too, than it's a problem, or with your project, or it's a bug and we need to verify.

If the simulation project is the same (you didn't change anything), you can send us the project and associated files so we can take a look :) (You can zip the project and upload as an attachment here on forum)

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:37

Hi again :)
I´ve changed the executable to the one I had (mohid land.exe) and it seems that the problem of stopping working has been solved.
Anyway, when I run any of the simulations it still goes on creating new bath. files. I run a simulation in the old computer and there is no problem, and when I run the same simulation in the laptop (I´ve exported and then imported it) it appears this error. The only difference I see is the executable file cause everything else is the same.
I´m trying to change the executable (not to the downloaded ones but others) and I´ll see if I can solve this with it. I´ll let you know if I manage..

Thanks,
ane

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Thu Sep 22, 2011 14:36

I got it :) They run without any problem (althouth really slowly) when I changed the exe into mohidland_release_double!

Jauch
Site Admin

Postby Jauch » Thu Sep 22, 2011 14:59

Good to hear it, Ane :)

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:39

Hello!

I have a catchment to which I de-computed several cells by giving -99 value. So now, the catchment is smaller and it has different drainage network.
When I run a simulation with this configuration I get:

Domain Thickness Exceeds Layer Definition
Maximum DomainThickness : 1188.14675903320
Total Layer Thickness : 14.0000000000000
ConstructKFloor - ModuleGeometry - ERR99

I´ve tried creating new bottom file (although in my point of view should´nt be neccessary, cause I´m using same bottom) with the porous media tool, but I still get the same message. In my geometry module I have a thikness of 14m so I´ve tried setting 20m of maximum soil depth in this tool to create the bottom file, but nothing..

Can anyone give me a hand with this please? I´m stuck..
Thanks!

davidbrito
MOHID Advanced user

Postby davidbrito » Mon Jan 16, 2012 16:31

Anne the problem here is

Maximum DomainThickness : 1188.14675903320

it means the in your domain there has been a cell with 1188m deep!

If you change the DTM you have to redo the steps after DTM because it changes drainage network and also the bottom file.

all the best
David

Return to “MOHID Land”