How to input water level data

MOHID Land forum. Questions and discussion related to MOHID Land
epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

How to input water level data

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Mon Sep 05, 2011 13:22

Hi all,

I´m not sure how does the water level work..With the "soil depth" tool it is created a initial ground water level file, but, what is this used for? I understand that this is created according to the soil depth and the quantity of water defined in the porous media data file (start with field:0-1 parameter), am I right?
But, can I input water level data? I mean, can I force mohid to have specific water table in different locations (by input measured water table)? Or this is just an output which I can compare with the measured one?

Thanks,
ane

Jauch
Site Admin

Re: How to input water level data

Postby Jauch » Mon Sep 05, 2011 13:33

Hi Ane :)

I don't know the tool you are refering (Soil Depth), but I think what you are looking for is this:

http://wiki.mohid.com/wiki/index.php?ti ... ater_Level

The answer to your question is: yes. You can define the initial water level (saturate zone) for the simulated domain. With a constant value or if you have different values for the area, with a grid data file.

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Mon Sep 05, 2011 13:57

Thank you eduardo. But, so far, the grid data files I´ve created have been constant in time, such as soil bottom, soil map, impermeability.. so, this time, I´m not sure how do I have to do this. In the porous media module, it says that what I need is initial altitude of the water table, so I think, that what I need to do is a grid file from a XYZ geometry layer in which I specify the water table of different locations (everyone in which there is a measurement) for a initial time?
Can´t I enter time series?

Jauch
Site Admin

Postby Jauch » Mon Sep 05, 2011 14:56

In fact, the Water Level block in the porous media file let you set only the initial water table, constant or variable in space. Note that if you use a grid data, you need to specify the value of the water level for each cell in the grid, not only for the points wich you have data, so you will need to do some preprocessing, like interpolating the data to fill all the area with reasonable values.

After the run started, mohid will do the hydrodinamic and thus will define, for each instant (time step), the new water table, that will change in time because infiltration, exchange with drainage channels, evapotranspiration etc.

If you have time series with field data for the water table for different locations on the simulated area, you can use them to check the simulation results, setting timeseries output for these location, and then calibrate the model as needed.

epelde.ane@gmail.com
MOHID Advanced user

Postby epelde.ane@gmail.com » Mon Sep 05, 2011 15:43

Thanks, so I´ll try to do as you say, with a grid data of the initial data and then I´ll compare it with the measurements I have.
Best regards,
ane

Return to “MOHID Land”