MOHID Land versions incompatibility

MOHID Land forum. Questions and discussion related to MOHID Land
cyrilgarneau@gmail.com
MOHID Beginner

MOHID Land versions incompatibility

Postby cyrilgarneau@gmail.com » Wed Jul 25, 2012 08:22

Dear all,
As a new MOHID user and, hopefully, a future model developper, I've been playing with MOHID LAND since a few days. My questions and comments are as follow:

- Is there an official MOHID executable? The MOHID GUI's models don't seem to be compatible with those developped under MOHID Studio. Furthermore, when I try to use the latest executable available on MOHID website, it gives different errors than the MOHID GUI.

- If I plan to compile my own mohid from codeplex, with which executable cited above will I be compatible?

- And last but not least: before purchasing the Intel fortran compiler, are there makefiles that work already with gfortran? The last posts I saw on the forum were a few years old, so maybe someone achieved the transition.

In every case, thank you for your help,

Cyril Garneau

Jauch
Site Admin

Re: MOHID Land versions incompatibility

Postby Jauch » Wed Jul 25, 2012 09:35

Hello Cyril,

cyrilgarneau@gmail.com wrote: - Is there an official MOHID executable? The MOHID GUI's models don't seem to be compatible with those developped under MOHID Studio. Furthermore, when I try to use the latest executable available on MOHID website, it gives different errors than the MOHID GUI.
Cyril Garneau

The Mohid Gui is still available, but probably no further development will be made on it. In fact, this suit do not changed for quite some time now.
The Mohid Studio is a new user interface for the Mohid system, including Mohid Land, and should be used instead of Mohid Gui.
Because the executables that came with Mohid Gui are very old, they should be replaced by the ones in Mohid Studio, if you prefer to use Mohid Gui.

At this moment we are working in mohid code and soon (I think in less than 60 days) we will launch an official "stable" version of Mohid Land and will start to provide bug fix releases and new versions on a regular basis.

At least this is my hope :)

cyrilgarneau@gmail.com wrote: - If I plan to compile my own mohid from codeplex, with which executable cited above will I be compatible?
Cyril Garneau

For sure the Mohid Land that cames with Mohid Studio is the more close related with the code in Codeplex, right now. But as I said, we are in a development period and the code in codeplex is changing very fast. Some things have already changed since the Mohid Stuio last version launch, but the changes in "keywords" are very small, if there are any at all.

cyrilgarneau@gmail.com wrote: - And last but not least: before purchasing the Intel fortran compiler, are there makefiles that work already with gfortran? The last posts I saw on the forum were a few years old, so maybe someone achieved the transition.
Cyril Garneau

I'll ask Guillaume to see if it is possible, at this time, to use it gfortran to compile Mohid Land.

Anyway, because different fortran compilers implement different specifications of the language, I can't say that even if right now this is possible, in the near future a change in the code will not make difficult (or impossible) to compile on a different compiler than the Intel, the one that we use and "support".

We're trying to address this, but it's not an easy task.

If you have any other questions, please, let me know. As soon as I get the answer from Guillaume, I'll let you know about gfortran.

Best wishes,
Eduardo.

cyrilgarneau@gmail.com
MOHID Beginner

Postby cyrilgarneau@gmail.com » Wed Jul 25, 2012 09:55

Well, thank you Eduardo for this quick and full response!

That covers my needs at the moment.

Cyril

Jauch
Site Admin

Postby Jauch » Thu Jul 26, 2012 15:56

Hello again, Cyril

Unfortunately, at this time we do not have a read-to-use makefile for gfortran, nor we know if gfortran can be used without any problems.

In this case, you have two options.

a) Make the required changes in the makefile, that currently is setup to intel fortran
b) use intel fortran.

I think that for non commercial use, the intel fortran for linux has no cost at all.

Let us know if you find a way to do this, please :)

Best regards,
Eduardo

Return to “MOHID Land”