Water Quality

MOHID Water forum. Questions and discussion around MOHID Water
cinthya.gomez@gmail.com
MOHID Beginner

Water Quality

Postby cinthya.gomez@gmail.com » Wed Nov 23, 2011 19:00

I have one question related with Mohid Water Quality. I’m trying to model a coastal lagoon with a restricted water exchange with the adjacent ocean. I would like to use the oxygen, nitrogen and phosphorus cycle. But I have some concerns related with the N and P cycle since I have not used before. From the lagoon I have a survey with the following parameters PO4, NO3, NH4, TOP, TON, TP, TN, OD. However, I don’t have any information about NO2. So I’m not sure if I would need this value to run the model or if I would need another value related with nitrogen or phosphorus cycle?
Thank you
Cinthya Gomez

sofia.maretec@ist.utl.pt
MOHID Beginner

Re: Water Quality

Postby sofia.maretec@ist.utl.pt » Fri Nov 25, 2011 08:39

Hi Cinthya,

The Module Water Quality has main two options: (1) run with N cycle or (2) run with N and P cycles. You will have to define and give initial conditions to
all the properties involved. The properties are (besides the organisms):
N cycle: Amonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Particulate Organic Nitrogen, non refractory Dissolved Organic Nitrogen and refractory Dissolved Organic Nitrogen
P cycle: Inorganic Phosphorus, Phosphate, Particulate Organic Phosphorus, non refractory Dissolved Organic Phosphorus and refractory Dissolved Organic Phosphorus.
Nitrite is an intermediate form in the nitrification process and we can assume that it is not very important in most of the systems. You could start your simulation with something like 10% of nitrate value and then let the model adjust the concentration.
Cause the properties are not exactly the same you will have to use and play with some 'general' conversion factors and assumptions to convert the information that you have from the field on initial conditions and then on data to compare with model.

I hope this helps.

Sofia

cinthya.gomez@gmail.com
MOHID Beginner

Re: Water Quality

Postby cinthya.gomez@gmail.com » Fri Nov 25, 2011 17:30

Hi Sofia,
Thanks for your response.
Can you give me a link or a reference where I can find the "general" conversion factor to transform the data that I have (Total Organic Phosphorus, Total Organic Nitrogen, Total Phosphurus, Total Nitrogen, PO4 and NO3) to the data that the model need (Inorganic Phosphorus,Dissolved non-refractory organic nitrogen, Dissolved non-refractory organic phosphorus, Dissolved refractory organic nitrogen and Phosphorus) in order to run the model.

Thanks
Cinthya

Return to “MOHID Water”